If you have heard about it and want to know what Benidorm Fest is, you are in the right place. We are going to tell you what this festival is all about, so that you have a better understanding of why it has become so popular in recent times and why so many people want to attend it. And if you are a Eurofan, when you finish reading, stop by our accommodations, we are a 5 minute walk from the venue.
You can walk from your Bungalow from the campsite to the Benidorm Fest…
What is Benidorm Fest
Are you familiar with the famous San Remo Song Festival? It is an event that has been held in the city of the same name in Italy since 1951. Here we did not want to be less, and in 1959 the Benidorm International Song Festival was launched.
Great artists who at that time were beginning to emerge, such as Karina, the Dúo Dinámico, Raphael and Julio Iglesias, passed through it.
In the 60’s, this festival was a success, but with the arrival of the 70’s, criticism related to the decline in the quality of the songs presented began, and so we arrived until 1985, when it was decided to make a break due to the lack of interest it generated.
In 1993 the festival was revived, differentiating the categories of light song and pop-rock, to better adapt to the new times and the tastes of younger people. After its 39th edition in 2006, it was decided to put an end to this event because it was not attracting the attention of the media or the public.
But the spirit of this important musical event refuses to die and, therefore, the Benidorm International Song Festival was reborn in 2022 as the Benidorm Fest festival. And it did so with great success.
What makes this event special?
The festival has returned totally renewed and adapted to the new times, and has become the platform to choose those who will have the opportunity to represent Spain at Eurovision. Thus, the Benidorm Fest is now a meeting point for eurofans from all parts of our geography, and also from our neighboring countries.
The media have once again echoed the importance of this event, and both the semifinals and the final are broadcast on television. In addition, the participation of emerging and established talents makes the public very active in social networks.
New faces for Benidorm Fest
In the next edition, the composer Nacho Cano will be the president of the jury. Their expert vote will be vitally important when it comes to choosing the contender to win Eurovision 2023, but they won’t be doing their job alone. He will be joined by other great professionals such as Christen Bjorkman, who has directed the Melody Festivalen for 19 years and is producer of the American Song Contest.
The highlight is the presence of Monica Naranjo as presenter of the galas, something that the singer has officially confirmed. What is not known is whether she will be on stage alone or if she will have some help.
Where will Benidorm Fest 2023 be held?
We are already warming up for the next edition. The festival will be in Benidorm, as it could not be otherwise, and what we know is that the audience capacity will be higher, due to the success of the event in its 2022 edition. Stay tuned as more details on the exact venue will be revealed soon.
Eurovision Party at Tecnohito
On the day of Eurovision, Eurofans have an appointment in the Plaza de la Hispanidad to follow the event on the giant screen of the Tecnohito in Benidorm.
When Benidorm Fest takes place
If you are wondering when Benidorm Fest is, we can confirm that the dates are now official. The opening ceremony will be held on January 29th. The first semifinal will be held on January 31, and the second on Thursday, February 2. The most anticipated event is the final, which will be held on Saturday, February 4, and after which we will finally know the representative of Spain at Eurovision 2023 and the song that will make us get excited.
Tickets have been on sale since November 1, and prices range from 20 to 60 euros, depending on the number of days you wish to attend.
FIRST SEMIFINAL: TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, 2023
Nine artists will perform, in a 90-minute gala, interpreting their songs and with their corresponding staging.
Order of the first Benidorm Fest Semifinal:
- 1. Sharonne with “Air”.
- 2. Aritz Aren with “Flamenco”.
- 3. Sofía Martín with “TUKI”.
- 4. Agoney with “Quiero ardr”.
- 5. Megara with “Arcadia”.
- 6. Alice Wonder with “I wish”.
- 7. Meler with “They will not move us”.
- 8. Fusa Nocta with “My Family”.
- 9. Twin Melody with “Sayonara”.
How to vote at Benidorm Fest
Last year’s voting system generated some controversy among Eurofans, leaving out some of the public’s favorite artists and proclaiming Chanel the winner. A gamble that, although risky, turned out well in the end, since we finished third in Eurovision.
The same voting system will be maintained for the 2023 edition. The winner will be chosen 50/50 between the jury’s vote (25% from the national jury and 25% from the international jury) and 50% from the public’s vote. The latter will be divided between 25 % for the televote and another 25 % for a demoscopic jury made up of citizens chosen on the basis of statistical and demoscopic rules.
- 2 SEMIFINALS, with the best 4 out of 9 participants per gala qualifying:
- 50% Jury’s vote, with each member of the Jury assigning 12 / 10 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 / 2 points. The jury is composed of 8 members, 5 international and 3 national. 456 points in total.
- 25% of the Vote with a demoscopic sample awarding 40 / 35 / 30 / 28 / 25 / 25 / 22 / 20 / 15 / 13 points en bloc. 228 points in total.
- 25% of the Vote with Televote via SMS and phone calls awarding 40 / 35 / 30 / 28 / 25 / 25 / 22 / 20 / 15 / 13 points in block. 228 points in total.
- 1 FINAL, from the best 8 of the semifinals:
- 50% Jury vote, with each member of the Jury assigning 12 / 10 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 4 /
3/ 2 points. The jury is composed of 8 members, 5 international and 3 national. 432 points in total.
- 25% of the Vote with a sample of 40 / 35 / 30 / 28 / 28 / 25 / 22 / 20 / 16 points en bloc. 216 points in total.
- 25% of the Vote with Televote via SMS and phone calls awarding 40 / 35 / 30 / 28 / 25 / 22 / 20 / 16 points in block. 216 points in total.
- 50% Jury vote, with each member of the Jury assigning 12 / 10 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 4 /
PHONE TO VOTE
The differences in the votes of the final and semifinals lies in the fact that in the final there will be 8 participants and not 9 as in the semifinals galas, which makes the Jury and popular vote give fewer points and in fewer blocks.
But there is one new feature. In the event of a tie between the artists, the winner will be the one who has obtained the highest score from the professional jury.
Artists of Benidorm Fest 2023
The specific way in which the public will be able to vote will be known once the event goes live. In the meantime, what you can do is warm up by listening to this year’s candidates, which are:
|Interpreter: La Lola|
|Age: 23 Years old|
|Known for being the winner of OT 2018|
2. Blanca Paloma
|Age: 34 Years old|
|Known for participating in the 2022 edition|
|Age: 26 Years old|
|Alicantina who went viral with her song “Tóxica”.|
6. Alice Wonder
7. Fusa Nocta
11. Aritz Aren
12. Rakky Ripper
15. José Otero
18. Twin Melody
List of video songs of Benidorm Fest 2023
Spotify list of Benidorm Fest 2023
Who participated in Benidorm Fest 2022?
The participants performing in 2022 were as follows:
- Azúcar Moreno with the song Postureo
- Blanca Paloma with the song ” Secreto de Agua”.
- Chanel with the song Slo Mo —- Winner of Benidorm Fest 2022 —-
- Gonzalo Hermida with the song Quién lo diría
- Javiera Mena with the Culpa song
- Luna Ki with the song of Voy a morir
- Marta Sango with the song Sigues en mi mente (You’re still on my mind)
- Rayden with the song ” Calle de la lloreria“.
- Rigoberta Bandini with the song Ay Mama
- Sara Deop with the song Make you Say
- Tanxugueiras with the song “Terra”.
- Unique with the song Mejores
- Varry Brava with the song Raffaella
- Xeinn with the ECO song.
Choosing the 18 contenders has not been easy, as RTVE has received 873 songs, many of them of great quality. Now we just have to wait and see how the artists defend their songs on stage.
You already know what Benidorm Fest is, an event in which music is the real protagonist, and from which the next song that triumphs in Eurovision can come out. If you are a Eurofan, this is an unmissable event for you. Would you like to live the experience in first person? If you are going to spend a few days in Benidorm to attend the galas, we are waiting for you in our accommodations, 5 minutes walk from the venue.